Many of you in the fitness and CrossFit space have heard of the BarBella Box, and today you get to hear from the owner and founder, the amazing Ella Ozery. Ella shares what her goals are for 2020, how last year was about finding her feet in motherhood while still juggling her business responsibilities, and why she loves her and her hubby’s decision to pack up shop and travel the globe for two months. There have been many questions about how our guests manage to balance work and home life, and Ella responds by saying that having a schedule yet accepting that things might not go as planned is key to thriving in hectic circumstances. She speaks warmly about the supportive BarBella community that has developed over time and the mutual understanding that all people face challenges and cannot always respond immediately, even in the context of business. Ella tells listeners what her biggest business mistake has been, why as a business owner you should welcome any feedback, and the need for all of us – even introverts – to step out of our comfort zones to ultimately grow into the best versions of ourselves.
Key Points From This Episode:
- The defining moment that led to Chrystal starting her clothing business Rebellia.
- Rebellia’s goal: providing cute, affordable clothing to women with curves and muscles.
- Aiming to offer the best quality products and mastering the mom-businesswoman life.
- Ella’s badass move of taking BarBella on the road and traveling the globe for two months.
- Helpful mindsets and practices for coping with a super full life and schedule.
- Feeling understood and supported by others in the fitness and CrossFit space.
- Recognizing an opportunity to offer something other subscription boxes don’t.
- Being willing to make mistakes and fail when starting a business, and building from there.
- Ella’s biggest mistake with BarBella – not having a clear idea of who her target audience was.
- The importance of listening to customers and asking for honest feedback.
- Thoughts on creating the group that developed into an organic BarBella community.
- Memorable collaborations with athletes and her favorite box items thus far.
- The importance of getting out of your comfort zone on the journey to self-development.
“Days don’t always go as planned either, and being okay with that is a big part of coping with a busy schedule too.” — Ella Ozery [0:10:01]
“I think my biggest mistake, in the beginning, was just assuming who my target market was instead of asking and learning from them.” — Ella Ozery [0:19:00]
“I’ve always kind of been a shy person, more introverted. Sitting in sweatpants on my couch is probably my favorite thing to do – a glass of wine, on the couch, watching TV – that’s me at my happiest.” — Ella Ozery [0:29:45]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: