The importance of self-belief for badass women entrepreneurs can’t be overstated, but nobody tells us quite how to do that. It’s up to us to find our own paths and fortunately, there are role models out there, examples of great women who are killing it that we can look to for guidance. Today’s guest is one such woman. Her name is Davita Parks and she is a wellness manager and fitness instructor at Life Time Athletic, a fitness entrepreneur who has fought to get to where she is each step of the way. In this episode, Davita tells us about her journey to becoming the sterling example of strength, courage, self-belief, and grit that she stands as today. We hear about her initial experience working corporate and her decision to leave the safety net and go at it alone. She talks about the difference between working a job and running your own business, and the complete cluelessness she had to fight through when she first started. 16 years later Davita has learned many lessons, and she speaks about some of these in the show today, too. She tells us about moments where she wanted to quit, huge life trials, and the value that her belief in the power of second wind and setting boundaries played in keeping her afloat. This conversation will be of huge value to anybody who is in need of some advice for remembering their value so they can keep crushing it in their jobs or businesses, so be sure to follow along.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Self-care and being okay with the idea that women can put themselves first.
- Background on Davita, a wellness manager who empowers people through movement.
- Davita’s goals, things she is grateful for, and something she did recently which was badass.
- The business side of fitness and perceptions of fitness that it is not a business.
- Success Davita has had in fitness as opposed to working in other corporate environments.
- How Davita learned entrepreneurship the hard way after being groomed for corporate.
- Bad moments which are concealed behind the glittery Instagram reel.
- How showing vulnerability on social media actually makes people reach out more.
- The role setting boundaries played in helping Davita feel less drained.
- Necessities around taking time for yourself after experiencing work and life losses.
- The story of when Davita found a Business For Dummies book to help her business.
- Faith which Davita drew on to get her through tough times of nearly quitting.
- How everybody messes up but don’t notice each other’s mistakes as much as their own.
- Using second wind and the reality that people rely on you to fight through hard times.
“There is this perception that fitness is all fun and games and it’s just a hobby and something you do as a side hustle, and you lose your real job. I’m just like, ‘Whoa, this is a real job!’” — Davita Parks [0:09:33]
“The one big lesson that I have learned is you don’t have to run your business how other people run their businesses.” — Davita Parks [0:14:30]
“What works for me is just being disciplined enough to say no.” — Davita Parks [0:20:07]
“I find myself in that state of comparison too and I also have to remind myself to snap out of it and be confident in the gifts and talents that God has given me.” — Davita Parks [0:31:28]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: