Our guests today are two real badasses! They are the brains and brawn behind the Females of Fortitude community, Caitlyn Schuft & Shy Franklin. Caitlyn and Shy were sick of the fitness industry and its superficiality, so they decided to create their own space for women to hang out and get into all the important aspects of fitness. They place a high emphasis on real, tangible gym advice and are just super cool and fun girls! They met in multiple Facebook Groups and bonded through their mutual love for powerlifting, training, and nutrition. They found other groups and communities were not servicing them and others and Females of Fortitude was founded at the very end of 2018! It extends beyond just fitness though, it is a whole mindset and way of operating for many of its members. The main messages in the group are around ditching excuses, faddy diets, and endless cardio! They set out from the idea that women can be healthier, stronger and happier versions of themselves through conscientious habits and commitment. They aim to teach members how to gain and keep focus and push through difficulties that we all encounter in life! Need we say more? Tune in to hear what they have been up to!
Key Points From This Episode:
- A round of ‘goals, gratitude and badassery’ with Caitlyn and Shy!
- Some information on Females of Fortitude and how they manage conduct in the group.
- Competing in powerlifting and the current fitness levels of our two guests!
- Current fads and trends in the diet space that Caitlyn and Shy find troubling.
- The problem of influencers and undoing the damage of misinforming the public.
- Insecurities and how these play out and are externalized onto others.
- The use of performance-enhancing substances and spaces where it is allowed.
- The Females of Fortitude fitness challenge and what separates it from the rest!
- Achieving consistency through challenges and increasing engagement and involvement.
- The roots of the desire to empower other women on a daily basis for Caitlyn and Shy.
- Engagement in the Facebook Group and our guests’ philosophy to helping.
- Caitlyn and Shy share their favorite quotes!
“I’m so tired of influencers!” — Caitlyn Schuft [0:13:20]
“It is not just men being insecure, it’s women too.” — Caitlyn Schuft [0:17:25]
“We want to make sure we are not just throwing people to the wolves and expecting them to be able to fight their battles alone.” — Shy Franklin [0:27:08]
“Maybe that word of encouragement or that reality check from you is what keeps them going.” — Shy Franklin [0:31:57]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: