The topic of today’s show is cleaner living, and joining us today to share her expert medical insight is Dr. Tania Dempsey. Dr. Dempsey received her MD from The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine before completing her residency at NYU Medical Center Bellevue Hospital and later served as an attending physician at a large, multi-specialty medical practice in White Plains New York. She then opened her practice Armonk Integrative Medicine where she combines primary care treatment and integrative medicine with a particular focus on thyroid dysfunction, autoimmune disease, hormonal imbalances, vitamin deficiency, food sensitivities, and weight management. This superwoman is an active staff member at Greenwich Hospital and a member of The Institute for Functional Medicine and the American College of Physicians, and has been featured on Fox News, Harper’s Bazaar, Reader’s Digest, and a string of other media publications. In this episode, Dr. Dempsey talks about the increase in autoimmune disease and other “mystery” conditions and the obstacles that genetics and stress can present in the treatment of these conditions. She advises listeners on regaining more control over their health, avoiding misleading skincare and household products, and what can be done to help people create healthier long-term habits.
Key Points from This Episode:
- Why the guided meditation app Simple Habit could be your best bet to overcome anxiety.
- Hear about Chrystal co-hosting a virtual mental health summit from May 5th–7th.
- Dr. Dempsey’s focus on complex chronic diseases that are considered “mysterious”.
- Educating doctors and the general public on autoimmune diseases and other conditions.
- Find out why, according to Dr. Dempsey, there is a notable increase in autoimmune disease.
- Understanding that we are all genetically susceptible to certain medical conditions.
- The importance of exercising control in the areas that you can such as what you ingest.
- Why people often continue unhealthy behaviors despite knowing better.
- How many brands mislead users through advertising and how to avoid getting duped.
- Taking baby steps in the journey towards and commitment to cleaner living.
- Mindfulness to combat the stress that prevents you from making healthier choices.
- Learn about the DNRS program to retrain your brain and create better pathways.
- New ways to think about medical care, remote consultations, and conventional medicine.
“My focus is really treating patients with complex chronic diseases, multi-systemic diseases that basically no one else can figure out.” — @DrTaniaDempsey [0:07:44]
“I’m excited about the work that I do. I learn something every day from my patients. Every day they teach me, and that’s the only way that I can be as good as I am.” — @DrTaniaDempsey [0:09:15]
“I think in general we live in a very toxic world. We are drinking from plastic water bottles; we’re putting cosmetics on our faces that have all these chemicals that have been shown to have hormonal effects and immune dysregulating effects; we’re breathing in the air that has pollution.” — @DrTaniaDempsey [0:11:36]
“I think that you have to listen to your gut instinct. You have to protect yourself and do what you can because others don’t know your body as well as you, so listen to that little voice. ” — @DrTaniaDempsey [0:36:23]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: