Today’s episode is a serious girl talk session! We are talking about periods. Thats’s right, we’re going to discuss hormones, your cycle, when you should be working out, and when you should be taking a break, as well as what you should be eating, what supplements you can take, and how to strengthen your uterus. Our guest today is Berrion Berry, a holistic menstrual health educator and practitioner. Her number one goal is to teach women how to have better periods, naturally. As the founder of The Flo Academy, she focuses on teaching those who identify as female entrepreneurs or modern women how to utilize their menstrual cycle to optimize their life in sync with their monthly flow. From hormone balancing to cycle syncing to mood enhancing and self-healing, Berrion covers it all and is excited to help you have your best period yet! Tune in today to find out more.
Key Points from This Episode:
- Berrion’s goals include a successful launch for The Flo Academy, an extension of her brand.
- Berrion is grateful for the opportunity to normalize the conversation around menstruation.
- Recent badassery includes being featured on The Everygirl as their menstrual health expert.
- A bit about what Berrion does and why she does it, based on her personal struggle with hypothalamic amenorrhea as an athlete.
- Berrion talks about hormonal birth control, post-birth control syndrome, and period pain.
- Finding a safe way of getting off birth control – talk to your doctor, there are other options.
- Stress and diet can affect inflammation in your body and cause more painful periods.
- What we can do to manage pain during our period, including cycle syncing and supplements.
- Strengthening and toning the muscles in our uterus by drinking organic raspberry leaf tea.
- Honor the cravings! Eat junk food if you want to, but try to find good quality alternatives.
- During our period, our metabolism is preparing for pregnancy with the hormone progesterone.
- Regulate your blood sugar levels, especially as it relates to hormonal health and regulation.
- Berrion on intermittent fasting – it’s trash! “Eat better, not less,” is her food philosophy.
- Men and women have different hormones, we shouldn’t have the same training regimens.
- Training throughout your cycle – honor every phase of your cycle, be a bit more intentional.
- How men, especially our trainers, can relate to our periods and what we are capable of.
- One more time – listen to your body, honor your cycle, take time to rest and recover!
- A quote from Berrion: “You don’t have to love the hard work, you just have to create the end result.”
“I always tell my clients and my community, stop putting fake shit in your body and expecting real results, natural results. I’m a straight-shooter with it, and that’s what hormonal birth control is. It’s fake hormones you’re putting in your body to regulate something.” — @BerrionlBerry [0:11:23]
“Honor the craving, because the more you deny yourself what you really want, the more likely you are to binge on the backend, and that is what we don’t want.” — @BerrionlBerry [0:22:14]
“If you are really trying to regulate your hormones and honor your cycle, you need to listen to your body. Stop listening to people who do not menstruate tell you how to get the physique that you want. There is a way that you can get the physique that you want, and lose weight, all in sync with your cycle.” — @BerrionlBerry [0:25:24]
“Give yourself permission to bleed and be.” — @BerrionlBerry [0:38:35]
“Your flow is what makes you such a strong individual, but you have to know your flow and how to use it.” — @BerrionlBerry [0:40:33]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: