As a former dating and relationship blogger, Chrystal has written extensively about relationships, giving people advice about finding inner happiness and wholeness instead of looking to someone else to fulfill their every need. Today, however, she gets serious about some guys’ tendency to want to control women, giving listeners several red flags to be on the lookout for. And if you have never been in a controlling relationship before, it can be hard to spot it when the signs first stop popping up! Because remember, controlling men are not your average bad guys: they are manipulative sweet talkers who know exactly what to say to keep you hooked and falling for their tricks every time. One of the first warning signs you should be paying attention to is the way your friends and family respond to him. They know you better than anyone, want the best for you, and can see through all the BS he tries to serve you, so take to heart their questions and concerns. Learn more about what self-love in a relationship looks like by tuning in for more on the kind of relationships you should steer clear from!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Chrystal talks about being a former dating and relationship blogger and the perspective from which she approached topics.
- Her experience of being in a controlling relationship and how it impacted her life.
- Remember: You won’t always see the red flags if you have never been in a similar situation.
- How controlling people are not what you expect – they are smooth and manipulative.
- Why you should be skeptical about a man who attaches to you too quickly.
- Be wary when he goes from requesting things to demanding and telling you what to do.
- Hear how controlling guys will try to cut you off from friends and family as much as possible.
- Why the time you spend doing the things you love can say a lot about the man in your life.
- What your self-confidence can reveal about how you are being treated in a relationship.
- Watch out for the guy who constantly switches between being cold and distant and sweet.
- The aggressive tendencies that would likely lead to physical abuse later one.
- Find out how a controlling man can make you feel ‘crazy’ and suspicious all the time.
- Chrystal explains why she decided to move across the country when she got out of a controlling relationship.
“Anyone can fall victim to being in a controlling relationship; being controlled by someone you love.” — @Xtal_Rose[0:02:40]
“In most circumstances, feelings, especially for men, they develop over time. But these controlling guys, they invent these feelings because they know it is what they need to display in order to lure you in.” — @Xtal_Rose [0:05:55]
“If your friends and especially your family don’t like him, and this is early on, scrap him.” — @Xtal_Rose [0:10:04]
“Any man who physically hurts you on purpose is a man that does not deserve you. This isn’t just a sign of a controlling man; it leaves the door open for more physical abuse.” — @Xtal_Rose [0:16:50]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: