“Actually going for that big hairy thing that is making us really anxious, that’s the thing that we’ve got to go for,” says Bernadette Joy, CEO of Crush Your Money Goals. After Bernadette and her husband paid off $300K of debt in three years, they built their first $1M of net worth. With her practical money tips and entrepreneurial spirit, Bernadette now educates women on their financial literacy and empowers them to claim independence.
Bernadette motivates women to take control of their finances without feeling guilty in the process. Often, women worry that wanting wealth will make them look selfish or evil. However, Bernadette points out that men do not have the same insecurities and are societally encouraged to become billionaires. Although she can’t prevent women from worrying about what others think, Bernadette can solve their money issues and remind them that they have ownership over their financial futures.
Tune into today’s episode of Self-Love for Breakfast for an inspiring conversation about creating financial freedom. Learn more about Bernadette’s perspective on wealth, how she rid herself of student loan debt, and why there is no one-size-fits-all approach to establishing economic boundaries in a relationship.
- “It’s no one’s business what you do with your money. And the more money that’s in women’s hands, I think the more good happens naturally.” (06:08-06:16 | Chrystal Rose)
- “How much time, energy, and money do we as women literally waste on caring about what everyone else frickin thinks? And to be honest, I don’t know how to solve that time and energy piece yet, but I can figure out the money.” (08:53-09:10 | Bernadette Joy)
- “We have to let go of that whole thing that says, ‘You’re a single woman, are you sure you’re gonna be okay?’ Yeah, you’ll be fine. Actually, you’ll probably be better off in some cases.” (13:00-13:11 | Bernadette Joy)
- “If you’re going to be evil, you’re going to be evil, whether you’re poor or rich. But the bad side of that is that more money, more resources, just like anything else, will amplify who you already were, to begin with.” (15:24-15:38 | Bernadette Joy)
- “Actually going for that big hairy thing that really is making us anxious, that’s the thing that we got to go for. Because that’s going to take the most time, the most energy, and it’s going to require a lot of self-reflection and figuring out how to do that differently.” (29:16-29:34 | Bernadette Joy)
- “Having been on both sides, I think you have to really decide what works best for you and for your marriage or your relationship or whatever. And it can’t just be like a one-size-fits-all.” (35:57-36:05 | Chrystal Rose)
Connect with Bernadette Joy:
Connect with Chrystal: